The cold season calls for a cosmetic shake-up. Out with the pastel nail polish, in with the sultry lipstick. Mix up your make-up for winter and conquer that smokey eye once and for all. Allow team Fiorelli to lead the way. As if we needed an excuse for a beauty haul…
Perfecting the smokey eye
The smokey eye is a winter classic and one we’ve always assumed is best left in the hands of trained MUA’s. But it turns out you don’t have to be Tanya Burr to nail the sultry shadow. We’ve discovered an easy way to perfect the look.
-Black kohl pencil
-Dark shade eye palette
- Apply a small amount of concealer or primer to your eyelid. This gives your eye shadow a base to stick to. Next apply a pressed powder to the area to avoid creasing later on.
- Taking a black kohl pencil (better for smudging) draw a clean line from the inner corner of your eyelid to the outer. Repeat the same motion with the lower eyelid. Use a blending brush to smudge the liner or if you don’t have one on hand use a cotton tip instead.
- Now it’s time to start shadowing. Starting with the lightest eyeshade, sweep the shadow over your entire eyelid. Next take the medium and sweep it half way across. Finally take the darkest shade and sweep it into the outer corner to create that truly smokey effect.
- If you want an extra dramatic look you can also apply eye shadow underneath the bottom eyelid.
- Use your blending brush or cotton tip and lightly blend the look together so that the colour fade appears more natural.
- Apply several layers of thick mascara and you’re ready to go.
During the winter our sun-deprived skin appears paler and it’s the deep lipsticks against fair matted skin which really make an impact. Avoid looking like Morticia Addams by balancing a dark lip with kohl-free eyes. Colour wise we recommended deep plums, bright purples and rich reds.
Mac rebel is a strong shade option for those who want to try out a darker colour without going all out gothic. The bright purple shade is glossy and suits a myriad of skin tones. We suggest pairing with Mac rebel lipglass and a strong lipbalm to keep chapped lips at bay.
Dark lipstick can lead to noticeable cracks appearing in dry lips, counteract this with an industrial strength balm such as Lanolips multi-purpose balm which will smooth out the most moisture deprived lips.
‘Tis the season to dunk your nails in a pot of glitter and emerge all sparkly, festive and chic. Festive nails thrive on glitter, but to avoid veering towards tacky tinsel city we recommend this feature nail idea from beauty blogger Gh0stparties. Simply apply a coat of your favourite winter polish to all nails and once dry apply glitter to the nail of your choice. It couldn’t be easier and the results are ultra-stylish.
What are your fail-safe winter make-up tips? Share your beauty secrets with us by leaving a comment below or tweeting us @Fiorelli_Bags.